Thursday, March 19, 2009

Never Fail Pizza Dough

So I am trying, trying, to be healthier. I have this great pizza dough recipe I have made for well before I was married (so at least 12 years). It always turns out great. I decided I would try adding in some wheat flour and see if my family even noticed. NOPE! Not even my picky DH. So here is the new, revised, healthier pizza dough recipe. This crust is a bit chewing and not too bready. If you like a thicker crust, let the dough rise for 10-15 minutes before you roll into pan and then another 5-10 minutes in the pan. I also cook it a bit before I add topping and sauce. I like the texture better. You can try not doing this, but for me, it works to precook for a few minutes.

1 1/2 T yeast
1 1/2 C warm water
1 1/2 tsp sugar
3 T oil (I like olive but vegetable or canola is fine)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix together and let sit for 5 minutes. Add 1 1/2 tsp. salt and 2 c whole wheat flour. Mix. Add in another 1 3/4-2 1/2 c. white flour until dough pulls away from sides. Immediately divide into 2 and roll into jelly roll pan pressing all the way to the sides working quickly so dough doesn't rise too much. Put in oven for 5-7 minutes until edges just start to turn light golden. Pull out, top with sauce, cheese and favorite pizza toppings. Put back in the oven for 7-10 minutes until cheese is melted. Enjoy!! Makes 2 13X18 sheet cake pans. If your family doesn't engorge that much on pizza, just half the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment