Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Whole Wheat Bread

I found this the other day on a blog. www.foodstoragedeals.blogspot.com. I thought it was worth trying. She makes 4 loaves with hers. I tried halving it, but it was way too much. My mixer won't make that much without the motor starting to overheat. So if you use hers and half it, make 3 loaves. But after a few tries this works for two nice size loaves. And I do like her tip for pushing the dough into the corners. It does make a nicer squarish loaf.
I didn't use her pan suggestions. I have Pyrex that I have had for years and they work great.
I also like some white and some wheat. So here is my version:

3 c. whole wheat
1/4 C vital wheat gluten (I got some from a friend, but I did find it at Smith's, you might need to ask if you don't see it. It was by the other grains not by the flour)
1 T yeast
2 c hot water
Combine wheat, gluten and yeast. Mix for 1 minutes. Add hot water and mix about 1 minute more. Scrape down sides and bottom. Let sit for 10 minutes.
Then add:
1 T salt
1/4 c oil
1/4 c honey or 1/3 c sugar
1 T lemon juice (bottled is fine) or 3/4 T vinegar
mix together. Then slowly add 1-1/2c whole wheat flour or 2-2 3/4 c white flour until the dough pulls away from the sides. Continue kneading for 5-7 minutes. Divide dough in half and shape into loaves. Put into two greased loaf pans. Put in warm spot or heat oven to lowest setting for 5 minutes and put into oven. Let raise just until dough comes to the top. It was about 40 minutes for mine. If in oven, leave there, if not put in oven and turn onto 350 degrees. Bake for 30 minutes. Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am trying this today but don't have the vital wheat gluten. I guess I'll make a trip to your house or to Smiths!

    ReplyDelete